Windsor Smith's Top Decorating Tips
The designer offers ideas for updating your home.
Los Angeles-based designer Windsor Smith is so accomplished, it's almost unfair. The design veteran has been an industry favourite for two decades, has several product lines to her name — including indoor and outdoor fabrics for Kravet and furniture for Century — and her client list includes celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow and Tracy Anderson. Known for her elegant interiors, Smith outfits rooms in a trademark mix of classic finds and modern pieces. Here, she shares her top decorating tips:
Windsor Smith's 5 Tips For Timeless Decorating
1. Go for photography! Display photography books on your coffee table and hang black and white photographs in inexpensive flea market frames. They don't need to be the same size, and it's okay — even preferable — to have a variety of frames.
2. Use interesting "found" textiles. Whether your interior is modern or traditional, a pillow made with a kuba cloth, Indian sari, or embroidered suzani, always stands the test of time and creates a worldly feel.
3. Try an étagère for display. Show off your books or collections of things you love in an étagère, a lightweight open shelf. It'll add storage without taking up too much space.
4. Add texture to your walls and floors. Sisal rugs and/or raffia wallpaper in navy or grey telegraph sophistication in a relaxed and confident way. You can add gilt mirrors when you feel fancy or bamboo furniture when you are in a more casual mood, but this earthy backdrop never goes out of style.
5. Build on the basics. Silver candlesticks, crystal and a well appointed bar with pretty decanters are must-haves. They compliment any passing trend and hold their own through all of our decorating whims!
Windsor Smith's 8 Ways To Update Your Home Decor
1. Combine emerald green and pale pink velvets with caramel coloured leather.
2. In place of drawer pulls, use leather luggage handles.
3. Use deep navy glossy paint on anything!
4. Apply marbled stationery as wallpaper.
5. Consider marble bookends, vases, lamps, bustheads, etc.
6. Mix matte golds and deep bronzes with other metals.
7. Highlight art or books with easel lamps.
8. Use fun nesting tables.
Windsor Smith's 8 Must-Haves
1. An espresso maker.
2. An interesting firewood basket filled with walnut or almond wood.
3. Deep purple orchids floating in a shallow silver bowl.
4. A chunky cable knit throw in natural or smokey lavender.
5. A great leather shopping tote in dark olive grey.
6. Cozy slipcovered chairs at the kitchen table.
7. Old LPs and a turntable.
8. A games table pulled up to a sofa.
See more of Smith's work in our gallery of her luxe interiors.
Source: House and Home